Monday, April 16, 2012

Cherished Possession

So I pulled a new question from the question jar:
What is your most cherished possession? 
For me this was a hard question. First I am going to eliminate all the obvious answers; no living things. That's right no answering husbands or kids or pets and so forth. Second I will eliminate anything I feel can reasonably be replaced. So as much as I cherish them scriptures etc are out. Lets be honest those handy dandy boys with the name tags can get me a new set. Then mentally somewhere around deciding what was eliminated by rule two I got nervous. Nervous I was not going to be able to pick just one cherished possession. You see this week I have had the misfortune of watching a couple of those hoarding shows on netflix. If you have never seen this show, then let me tell you it is a MUST watch before you start any spring cleaning. My heart just breaks for the people in the show and I realize how much we all assign value to objects differently. While watching I  pledge to myself to not get so attached to any material thing, and privately realize I cannot keep such a promise. So what is my one true cherished possession. Assuming all are safe what is the one thing I grab in a fire? Pictures, that seems like a safe answer. Not living; check. Not replaceable; check. Could I live without them, yes. They are just a crutch for my own memory of the events and truth be told if I only had to go off the memories I would be skinnier and taller in every shot. But then again as I approach another birthday and age and gravity play their tricks they may be the only proof I have that I was skinnier and taller. So yep my photo albums win. 
Now what is your most cherished possession?

3 comments:

  1. Good question! Hmm...yes I definitely agree with the pictures! Otherwise I would say my journals. I would be so sad if I lost those. Happy I have my blog, so that it's backed up there in the internet space. But the journals from when I was growing up and the journal I have kept of the funny/cute things my kids say could never be replaced. I would be crushed if I lost those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I love your answer.
    Oh my goodness, I have to answer?
    Pictures and journals are SO priceless!
    Would it be too silly of me to say my laptop? It has a lot of my pictures and stories from my life. Come to think about it I should probably back it up today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya I'm kind of with Shelly - I'd try to lug our big ol' computer out the house. It not only has all our pictures but all of Sean's mission journals, various family journals, etc.
    Not to mention all our music and movies but I guess those could be replaced.
    If that wasn't an option, it's good to know that I could make it out of a house fire with only my kids and hubby and still be happy. ;)

    ReplyDelete