Monday, August 29, 2011

Icky Food

 The topic of Food is a fun topic, but today I pulled the statement; I'll never eat another...
I use to think I was super brave when if came to food. I know so many people who go out to eat only to order the same thing over and over again, even worse when they are bland boring food. I like to try new things, I enjoy asking the person taking my order for recommendations and most the time have enjoyed discovering new things. I would love to be so trained and skilled as to be a food critic or better said food taster, knowing all the flavors and lets be honest eating super fancy well made meals by individuals who spent years learning the craft would be AWESOME. That dream died when I moved to Taiwan. I still love an amazing cooked meal, but I found myself challenged to try new things. Enter the "thousand year egg".
It did not smell as bad as the stinky bean curd (that was the name someone else said, though I agree it is properly named), but it did stink. It is an egg curiously preserved I believe for several months leaving it completely black with the center a Carmel consistency of a green slime. OK confession time, I know the statement above said "I'll never eat another..." I DID NOT eat this egg, so in all fairness I cannot say I'll never eat another since I never have in the first place. Oh the shame I am a sissy food taster. If you are still curious about the egg YouTube Reme eats... its this little kid who takes the phrase 'will eat anything' seriously far. Go Reme Go! I did eat many other "icky"(by American cuisine standards) things while living in Taiwan that I guess would be fair to say I'll never eat again. Oh and Almond Roca! Now before you think I am crazy cause Almond Roca is a pretty wonderful treat, I did once love it, and may in fact someday be reformed. Basically there is a story about the Almond Roca I will tell another time. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I would be daring enough to eat that egg either. There is something about the clear and yellow turning to black and slime.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disgusting! And almond roca--really? I guess you better tell that story now.

    ReplyDelete